On 07/31/2012 11:44 PM, snmis...@linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:

Quoting Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden <ewoud+ov...@kohlvanwijngaarden.nl>:

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 09:44:10AM -0400, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:09:26AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 09:18:50AM +0300, Itamar Heim wrote:
> > > On 07/26/2012 05:36 PM, snmis...@linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
> > > 5.2 novnc websocket server - i see three options
> > >
> > > 5.2.1 extend qemu to do this, so novnc can connect to it directly
> > > like we do today for vnc/spice
> >
> > I don't think this is a desirable approach. One of the nice
> > benefits
> > you gain from using a websocket proxy is that you only need to have
> > one single TCP port exposed to the internet now. If you put
> > websockets
> > in QEMU itself, you'd be stuck with having to open your firewall to
> > allow 100's of ports. With a separate web proxy, you can even make
> > each QEMU server now use a local UNIX socket for their VNC server,
> > since only the proxy needs to be able to connect. This means that
> > the VNC server would no longer be exposed to random local user
> > access too.
>
> Another benefit of a proxy is that you can run it in a DMZ and not
> have
> to expose all your virtualization hosts to the internet.

But this way you do expose them :)

Since I've worked with VNCAuthProxy I'll explain how that works.

First of all it listens on a control port. This can be inside the
firewall and has a simple JSON-based protocol. On this control port you
can ask it to open a connection on port X to virt-host.example.org:Y.
virt-host.example.org can also be behind the firewall and now only port
X is exposed to the internet.

I am coming from the libvirt/libvirt-cim world and I don't completely
follow this discussion. In libvrt-cim (higher level layer using libvirt
to create and manage VMs), we took the input from user on what VNC IP,
port, vncpassword etc. the user wants to use to access the VM and
created a libvirt XML using these user provided values. This XML was
then passed to libvirt which created the new VM and magically set vnc
up. The user then opened any VNC viewer of their choice to access the
VM. If ovirt is using libvirt, why can't we use the same magic?

that's already implemented today - you can click the UI to get a dialog with the vnc details and open the session yourself. the thread discussed something which will launch vnc from the browser for you.
launching from browser has 3 ways:
- browser wrapper - activex, xpi, etc.
- mime based
- html based - like the novnc client
(well, also java applet based but less used today)

Pardon my ignorance here.
-Sharad Mishra