On 01/30/2013 05:13 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juan Hernandez" <jhern...@redhat.com>
To: "Alon Bar-Lev" <alo...@redhat.com>
Cc: engine-devel@ovirt.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:38:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Time to move to 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT?

On 01/30/2013 04:31 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

Hi,

You merge this with the rpm version to 3.3.0 which is totally
invalid.
3.3.0 is a *RELEASE*.
I really don't care what maven approach is, but please do not
create issues with product release cycle.

Alon

That is not true. After this patch the default RPM version is
3.3.0-0.1.$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).

3.3.0 is a release.

0.1.* is the BUILD.

In RPM terms 3.3.0 is the "version", and "0.1.*" is the "release", see here:

[1] http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html

And make dist produces ovirt-engine-3.3.0.tar.gz which is a release.

ovirt-engine-3.3.0.tar.gz is not a release, it is just the name of a tar file generated by the makefile. The release is the act of the release managers, on behalf of the community, announcing and publishing some artifacts, maybe including a tarball generated with the makefile, maybe one generated manually, as they see fit.

You are confusing between upstream and downstream, we will have to fix this
before we support more distributions.

I may be confused, of course, but I don't see the connection between the name of the tarball generated by the makefile and supporting more distributions, looks to me like the least important thing in these regards.