Thanks for the confirmation. Appending a template for the columns :-)

/psql engine -U postgres -c "SELECT 'COMMENT ON COLUMN ' || table_name || '.' || column_name || ' IS TODO;' sql FROM information_schema.columns where table_schema='public' order by table_name, column_name" > comments_columns_to_do.sql//
/
It looks like we have cca 73 tables and 2353 columns now. So probably better to start with the tables.

On 26.2.2013 15:03, Yair Zaslavsky wrote:
I think your idea is very good.
I also think we should have it for columns as well.
But since we already have many columns, maybe we should have an "on going effort" from various developers on this (i.e - each developer will do that for several tables).
Thoughts?

    *From: *"Libor Spevak" <lspe...@redhat.com>
    *To: *engine-devel@ovirt.org
    *Sent: *Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:37:17 PM
    *Subject: *[Engine-devel] Engine table comments

    Hi,
    I would like to propose to create a patch assigning sql comment to
    each Engine table.
    The comments will be a part of the exported DB schema report, too.
    The terminology is not always consistent across all application
    layers, so for the newcomers it would be easier to understand the
    model.

    But, what would be general guidelines?

    I recommend to use singular form of entity name as used from
    end-user point of view (if somehow visible, of course), or just
    used frequently inside code.

    Examples:
    storage_pool ... Data center
    vds_groups ... Cluster
    but:
    vm_static  ... Virtual machine configuration
    vm_dynamic ... Virtual machine runtime data
    vm_statistics ... Virtual machine statistics data
    etc.

    This command prepares a template for the patch:

    /psql engine -U postgres -c "select 'COMMENT ON TABLE ' || relname
    || ' IS ''TODO'';' sql from pg_stat_user_tables t WHERE
    schemaname='public' order by t.relname" > comments_to_do.sql//
    /
    or just I can prepare a page on the wiki with table containing
    table names and volunteers :-) can propose simple understandable
    comments for known tables.

    Is it useful?

    Thanks.

    Regards,