On 11/21/2013 03:28 PM, Alexander Wels wrote:
On Thursday, November 21, 2013 07:18:42 AM Daniel Erez wrote:
----- Original Message -----

From: "Einav Cohen" <eco...@redhat.com>
To: "Livnat Peer" <lp...@redhat.com>, "Eli Mesika" <emes...@redhat.com>,
"Omer Frenkel" <ofren...@redhat.com>, "Doron Fediuck"
<dfedi...@redhat.com>, "Oved Ourfalli" <ov...@redhat.com> Cc:
"engine-devel" <engine-devel@ovirt.org>
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 11:19:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Weird behavior of multiple SetVmTicket query

engine-core maintainers - this one is mainly for you - see below.
the most important question (I think) is: Is there any reason
to not introduced a "sync" flavor of RunMultipleActions (i.e.
one that will return from the backend only when all actions have
been completed, similarly to RunAction)?

There's a couple of years old patch exactly for that [1].
It should allow both synchronous and asynchronous multiple actions according
to a flag. Question is when do we want to use the synchronous flavor?
The reasoning behind the current implementation is to return a quick
response to the client, as executing multiple vdsm commands can potentially
require a long wait. Do we need to introduce a sync version just for VM
console connection flow? IIRC, the flow actually uses multiple calls to the
singular form (RunAction) rather than RunMultipleAction?

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/3210/

We recently introduced a patch [1] that on the front-end is smart enough to
consolidate multiple query/actions into a single runMultiple(Query/Action)
call to reduce the number http requests to the back-end. In the SetVMTicket
case it combined two actions into one runMultipleAction call and was expected
that to return once all the actions where complete, which didn't happen
causing some undesired behavior on the client side. This sparked the
investigation that ended in this email.

So yes I would definitely like a 'synchronous' version of runMultipleAction so
the frontend code can set that flag when combining multiple actions into a
single call. We can only safely do this if we are combining several runActions
as all of those are 'synchronous'.

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/17356/

btw, how is this going to work with the REST API?

----
Thanks,
Einav