On 04/19/2013 02:33 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> I can certainly do that. However, what would it change? I could still
> identify a message created by Enigmail, and I could still tell you if
> some other product would have faked a message to look like Enigmail.
> Things like line wrapping of the Content-Type header, the text above
> the first MIME part, the headers of the signature part etc. make a
> message created by Enigmail identifiable.

Yep, there are other ways that enigmail and thunderbird produce messages
with identifying characteristics, and some of those ways can be cleaned
up or standardized to make the messages fall into a larger "anonymity
set" by choosing particular configuration choices.  See the paper i
referenced to see some of the mechanisms to do that.

So fixing the identifiable MIME boundaries is a necessary but not
sufficient step toward achieving the goals the Tor devs are aiming for.
 If there are no downsides to making the change, it would be good to
take the step even if it doesn't solve all the problems.

Thanks for your consideration of this, Patrick, and for your prompt
response.

Regards,

        --dkg