On 11/12/2013 12:33 AM, Michael Norrish wrote:
> In other words, MS is now saying that they are going to implement
> more of C99.

That's unknown, actually.  MS's official position is that they will not
implement more of C99, but there are reports from people that MS is
making quiet noises about supporting C99 in some way -- probably through
third-party libraries such as Dinkumware.

> Hardly a dead standard, and indeed, one with pretty good vendor
> support.

I did not say it was a dead standard, nor did I say vendors were
ignoring it.  If you're going to put words in my mouth, please make them
ones I actually said.

I said:

        [Compilers that don't support C99-style // comments] are
        very common.  14 years after C99, GCC still doesn't fully
        implement the standard, nor does the Intel C++ compiler
        or Clang.  The only fully-conformant C99 implementation
        I know of is the Sun compiler.

        So, yeah.  C99 was a nice standard while it lasted, but it
        got withdrawn by ISO before it could get a decent number of
        conformant implementations.  Now ISO is pushing C11 and as
        near as I can tell it's got almost zero mindshare.

You're claiming that Clang, Intel and GNU support most of C99.  Yes,
they do.  I'll fully agree with you on that.  However, the fact that 14
years after the passage of C99 none of the Big Four (MS, Clang, Intel
and GNU) have fully conformant C99 implementations says something pretty
unpleasant about the C99 specification.

So does the fact that the resumes that cross my desk all list C
programming, and when I ask "C89, C99 or C11?", I have yet to find *one*
job applicant who will list C99 or C11 as skillsets.

Do C99 and C11 exist?  Yes.  Do we have mostly-conformant
implementations?  Yes.  Do we have fully-conformant implementations?
One.  Does anyone really care?  Not that I can see.  And is any of this
relevant to the original question, which was whether there exist C
compilers that don't understand //-style comments?

Not in the slightest.