Am 20.04.2014 21:38, Philip Jackson schrieb/wrote:
> Hi Nicolai,
>
> I've downloaded and installed the 1.7a1pre-test version.
> Patrick's link shouldn't just be clicked on though.  Firefox
> downloaded it and tried to install and then rejected it as 'not
> being suitable for Firefox' and then presumably deleted it (because
> I couldn't find it in the downloads directory).
>
> However, one question :  in the preferences/sending tab, how do
> your new options cohabit with the second check box item 'Always
> trust people's valid keys' ?
>

> Does that option cancel your 3 options for full, marginal, unknown
> trust levels?

No, it's the other way round:
Currently the options don't affect each other (which might be wrong).

That is:
- - I can select to auto send encrypted emails
  to people for which the keys have unknown trust
  although "always trust" is NOT selected.
- - I was thinking about some alternatives, though.
  One is that if not "always trust all keys" is selected
  I disable the last (two) options.
  That would be a visual feedback for what you asked.
- - Another is that the auto-send-options only ask whether to send
  encrypted if all keys are known and "trusted"
  and what "trusted" means is derived from the
  "always trust all keys" option".

In any case I am not sure whether the whole approach
I programmed is good/intuitive.
So allow me to explain some details of the current implementation:

- - Option "always trust all keys" is enabling or disabling the option
  --trust-model always
  This is documented in the GPG manual as:
  > Skip key validation and assume that used keys are always fully
trusted.
  > You generally won't use this unless you are using some external
validation scheme.
  > This option also suppresses the "[uncertain]" tag printed with
signature checks when there is no evidence that the user ID is bound
to the key.
  Sounds pretty dangerous (but is often selected).

- - My options affect whether and how the Key Validity and Owner Trust
  columns of the key management are considered.
  For example, if I need marginal trust,
  both columns have at least to have that level.
  (Note that validity/trust is sorted according to:
    - disabled/revoked/expired
    - explicit mistrust
    - unknown trust
    - marginal trust
    - full/ultimate trust
   )
  "auto send encrypted" would never happen with keys being in the
  first two groups. No option should change that IMO.
  For the other three groups,
  I have provided the three auto-send-enc-options.

However, now we have different trust models
(one by GPG and one by the key manager)
THis also can be confusing.
On the other hand,
dealing with what is defined in the key management dialog
can be more intuitive than dealing with the rules of
the web of trust.

Consider for a moment we would have no recipient rules
and people don't know the rules of the web of trust.
The simple approach for the novice either would be:
 a) You can disable auto encrypt.
    Then you have your general default about whether to encrypt
    which you can change for each mail.
 b) You can select to auto encrypt if all keys are known
    (ignoring the trust level, but not mistrust or revoke/expired).
    This is like selecting "always trust all keys"
    (and as dangerous)
 c) You can select to auto encrypt only if keys are known
    AND you have declared some trust.
    In my implementation you can either require
    at least either marginal or full trust.

The current approach I implemented gives you this principle,
with the behavior that for b) and c) "always trust all keys"
doesn't matter.
If I give "always trust all keys" a semantics here,
the effect would be to let c) and b) behave the same
if "always trust all keys" is enabled.
May be that's more intuitive.
Especially if I disable the last two options
when "always trust all keys" is selected.

But is all might be too complicated ...
(for novices or experts or both?).
Hmmm, questions over questions ...
As I wrote: I am not sure.
Opinions please.

 Nico

> ------------------------------------------------- Philip Jackson
> Tel : (+33) 468 49 80 53        GnuPG Public Key : 0x23543A63.asc
>
> On 20/04/2014 19:35, Nicolai Josuttis wrote:
>> The new model provides different options to auto send encrypted
>> based on the owner trust of the keys.
>
>> Options are roughly: - never auto encrypt (except by rules) -
>> always auto encrypt if all keys known (except keys with
>> mistrust) - auto encrypt if all keys known and having full owner
>> trust - auto encrypt if all keys known and having at least
>> marginal trust (yes, the current labels can be improved)

- --
Nicolai M. Josuttis
www.josuttis.de