While I agree with Phil, there's one thing here which perhaps could use some clarification:

of physics and information theory for believing that not only is it
computationally infeasible now for us to mount any kind of realistic
attack upon SHA512, but it will forever remain computationally
infeasible.

My only caveat there is this applies to brute force.

Roughly speaking, you can imagine a hash function as being sort of like a jet engine. Stuff gets ingested, then sliced up and compressed and mixed up and totally mangled, and at the end you've got something coming out of the contraption.

In a jet engine, if your compressor goes out the engine fails. In a Merkle-Damgard hash function (such as SHA-512), if the compression stage has flaws the entire hash function is prone to failure. This is how we knew back in 1997 that MD5 was on thin ice: although we didn't know how to make MD5 fail, we knew how to make the compression stage fail, and that was enough to say "please stop using MD5, failure is imminent."

What Phil is saying -- and what I've said -- is true for brute-force attacks. It's simply not going to happen. Ever. Breaking SHA-512 by brute force requires a lot of energy -- more energy than a quasar puts out over its entire lifespan, more energy than you'd find in a galactic core explosion, an amount of energy so vast that just having that much energy available would do horrific things to the structure of space-time -- we're talking distortions like those found at the surface of a neutron star. If you think I am kidding, no, I am not. When Phil said it would require a Kardashev-3 civilization, he may have been understating things.

However, if someone is able to find a flaw in SHA-512's compression function then all bets are off. No one has so far been able to. Nor have there yet been any promising avenues of research in this direction.

(For the record, every hash algorithm in OpenPGP is a Merkle-Damgard. There are some excellent hash functions that aren't Merkle-Damgards, though! My favorite non-Merkle-Damgard is Whirlpool, which is basically AES turned into a hash function.)