Hi Daniel :

On 16/06/14 23:59, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi Philip--
>
> over on enigmail-users,
> On 06/16/2014 09:58 AM, Philip Jackson wrote:
>> me@me-desktop:~$ gpg --sign test-message
>>
>> You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
>> user: "Philip Jackson <philip.jack...@nordnet.fr>"
>> 2048-bit RSA key, ID 23543A63, created 2013-01-22
>> (here I entered the passphrase)
>> gpg: problem with the agent - disabling agent use
>> gpg: can't open `test-message': No such file or directory
>> gpg: signing failed: file open error
>>
>> I tried a couple of times - same both times.

I'm green in many ways, Daniel, but I did think to create a 'test-message' file
and in case I had a path problem, I tried it in different sub-directories.

> is there a file named "test-message" ?  you can find out with:
>
>  ls -l test-message
>

> If that doesn't exist, you can create a simple text file with "example"
> in it with:
>
>   echo example > test-message
>
>> command gpg-agent shows "gpg-agent: gpg-agent running and available"
>
> are you doing this from within a terminal emulator in a graphical
> environment, or are you doing this entirely from a text-mode virtual
> terminal?

In UbuntuStudio, the terminal icon on the desktop says it's a "Terminal Emulator
- Use the command line"  These terminals can be opened in multiple ways but each
time it is basically from the graphical environment.

> You might do better to debug this problem with gpg over on gnupg-users
> (i've cc'ed them here).  If you want to follow up on that mailing list,
> you'll probably need to subscribe first at:

Thank you for this link and the suggestion.  I'll get on to it when the day's
affairs are over.

Philip