I check out mailvelope every now and then.  I'm pretty sure  that it can
sign, and it can encrypt, but it can't yet sign an encrypted message.
Also, in my experience with it, a small but significant percentage of
messages get screwed up by gmail (or perhaps mailvelope itself).

So, it might very well ease your friend into the process, but don't be
alarmed when you get a bad signature from her.  :-)

Mark