On 23.12.15 15:59, Dan Datau wrote:
> Dear Enigmail Users,
>
> This is probably a noob question, but how do I run the sha1sum command
> in Windows in order to check the integrity of the downloadfile from the
> gpg4win site https://www.gpg4win.org/download.html?
>
> Do you need to install a .exe to do that and why can’t Windows run this
> command without installing such an .exe to compare checksums?

Well, this isn't a dumb question at all. This is the essential question
of implementing an initial trust relationship to the software you want
to use.

If you're installing GPG4WIN using the Enigmail Setup wizard then it
will do this for you, it will verify the checksum.

If you're doing download and installation manually, you need an
executable program to calculate the checksum, there is no preinstalled
one on windows.

If you're feeling this is too scary for you (use a downloaded program to
verify the integrity of a downloaded program), then you should ask a
friend who is well versed in doing such tasks.

HTH

Ludwig