On 05.01.16 03:58, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I've just uploaded 1.9~beta1-1 to debian experimental, so it should
> be available in a few hours for anyone running from that repo.

Great, thanks!

> A handful of nit-picky notes from my inspection of the build:
>
> A) package signatures ------------------
>
>> I would appreciate to get as many bugs reported as possible such
>> that we will have a stable release by the end of February.
>>
>> The package (XPI) is available from
>> https://www.enigmail.net/download/beta/enigmail-1.9-beta1.xpi
>>
>> SHA-1: c9b4b2e943134549b07ceffd880605e4b98ca1a5
>
> I recommend using SHA-256 checksums for binary artifacts like
> zipfiles these days :)

sure ;-)

> Do you have plans to release a signed "source tarball" for this as
> well? I'm happy to work from the signed git tags if you prefer, but
> sometimes it's nice to have a cryptographically-signed tarball with
> detached signature that can be used directly (e.g. in the debian
> archive).

Yes, I'll certainly do this for the final release (as usually). I'll
also do this for the next beta.

> B) unused properties -----------------
>
> running "make check" shows, among some good output, some "false
> positives":
>
> ============================================= dtdLabels:      613
> found Labels:   610 false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  enigmail.msgViewColumn.tooltip unused labels in
> 'unused.txt'
>
> ============================================= propLabels:     474
> found Props:    446 false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  clickDecrypt false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  cmdLine false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  debugLog.title false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  encryptYes false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  internalError false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  keyTypePrimary false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  msgCompose.button.save false positive (or correct
> because in comment)?:  pubKey false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  sendKeysOk false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  signOff false positive (or correct because in
> comment)?:  signOn false positive (or correct because in comment)?:
> signYes false positive (or correct because in comment)?:  warning
>

> and unused.txt contains:
>
> ++++++++++++ unused labels:
>
> unused properties: addUidDlg.commentError errorKeyUnusable
> gnupg.invalidKey.desc ++++++++++++

Yes, I know, I'll remove them for the next beta.

[...]

> D) jshint ------
>
> The test suite now uses jshint, but there's no mention of jshint
> in ./COMPILING -- maybe it's worth documenting the test process in
> COMPILING as well?

Right, I should mention it there.

> Also, I hate to bug you about this, but jshint isn't licensed as
> free software because of crockford's "good not evil" clause.  This
> means that debian won't be able to run this particular part of the
> tests in its autobuild setups for you.  see
> https://github.com/jshint/jshint/issues/1234 for ongoing
> (multiyear!) work there :/ sigh.
>
> If you can use a different linter (or want to prod jshint upstream
> about continuing work to fix this), i can get those tests running
> on the debian infrastructure as well as anyone who builds debian
> packages from source too.

Right :-/ I'll see if I find a replacement that works without too many
changes ...

- -Patrick