I am not convinced.
  The issue at hand is that Enigmail _should_ switch to a proper encoding
*before* performing the encryption, similar to what Thunderbird does (it
offers to switch to a MBCS (UTF-8 being common choice) if it detects a
character that it can not encode in the pre-selected encoding.
  As an alternative Enigmail _could_ provide an option to override the
encoding for encrypted in-line messages so that it does not interfere with
the rest of Thunderbird's encoding detection. Something similar to 'Always
use UTF-8 for In-Line encrypted messages'.
  I am not trying to force a solution, since this may be a niche problem
(for anyone that is not US/GB, and receives a message in a 1-byte
incompatible encoding). But if Enigmail injects itself in such a way, that
Thunderbird's functionality is short-circuited shouldn't Enigmail provide
with a proper alternative?
  I'm raising this issue, because I often get messages from my colleagues
that are forwarded or replied messages from clients/partners and these
messages are commonly broken. I'm trying to convince them to use MIME, but
there are a few alternative e-mail agents that lack support for PGP/MIME
(K9 + APG, but the info may be outdated).