On Thu 2017-11-09 16:30:45 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon,  6 Nov 2017 11:46, whi...@posteo.net said:
>
>> Why not display exactly what GnuPG reports concerning a signature? Leave
>> it up to the user to make his own value judgments.
>
> That is what I was about to reply ;-).
>
> In fact we have spend weeks of work to come of with a useful
> representation of signature stati.  Not everything has been implemented
> but eventually we will update our evaluation of the status as
> represented by the GPGME_SIGSUM_ flags.
>
> See
>
>   https://wiki.gnupg.org/EasyGpg2016/AutomatedEncryption
>   https://wiki.gnupg.org/EasyGpg2016/OutlookUi

There's a lot of text on both of these pages.  I haven't read them all.
But the first page does say:

    There should only be prominent information when reading a signed mail if:

       There is additional information that the sender really is the
       intended communication partner. (Level >= 2)

    In other words, we do not display that a message is unsigned, and we
    do not display that a message has a bad signature. These are treated
    equivalently. (See below.)

This sounds roughly equivalent to what Patrick wrote to me.  And not at
all like what Whitey is suggesting.  So i think i misunderstood your
when i read the thread offline and didn't have access to the wiki links
above.

Apologies for the confusion!

      --dkg