Hi,

Neil D. Donovan:
> 2) Automatic decryption of received encrypted emails to the folder on
> the email server

as already noted, you can achieve that using the "Message Filters"
(Tools->Message Filters, Filter Rules: Select "Decrypt permanently
(Enigmail)" under "Perform these actions").

If you do so, you should make sure that _at least_ the emails are stored
on an encrypted drive, e.g. using LUKS on GNU/Linux.
You likely cannot guarantee that for your email provider, so I would
strongly advise against that.

However, I can understand your motivation and have personally solved it
slightly different:

- Emails of the past months up to ~1 year are kept always in their
  original form (GPG encrypted)
- Every ~1 year, I put my emails into my personal/local archive, i.e.
  - use the Message Filters to permanently decrypt the emails
  - save/move them to a local directory (the archive)
  - the archive is a NAS with LUKS encrypted drives as well as my LUKS
    encrypted laptop (in case the NAS is unavailable to me)
  - delete the (still encrypted) emails on the Email server
  Thus, the emails are never stored persistently in the clear.

For me (your mileage may vary), this is a good trade-off between having
GPG-encrypted emails available for my day-to-day work (because it's
day-to-day I roughly remember which one is relevant) and decommissioning
keys and passphrases. This also saves me from the pressure to remember
passphrases of old keys indefinitely, which I likely did not need and
use for a long time.

Cheers,
~flapflap