Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> You can force "regular" Enigmail mode via Thunderbird Preferences >
> Privacy Tab > Force using S/MIME and Enigmail.

Thank you!  This stops pEp from creating the spurious keys, presumably by no
longer running the pEp engine.

I suppose the checkbox and settings under View settings for this account simply
do not work with pEp enable.

Jeff

p.s.  I still think my chown/chmod trick solves the problem without disabling
pEp, and pEp happily uses the correct key once prevented from creating any, but
maybe I’ll just do it this way for now.  :)