I am running GPG version 1 on Linux Mint KDE.

When I try to extend the expiration date of my public key, I get

gpg> expire
Need the secret key to do this.

...and despite the advice given on various Webpages, no box appears for
me to input my secret key's passphrase.

This question has come up on various Webpages, but no coherent answer
was ever given to my knowledge.

Enigmail indeed will extend expiration, but it fails to upload its
results to a keyserver such as pgp.mit.edu

So when I compare my results via the commandline with those attained
through Enigmail, I wonder whether Enigmail will update the trustdb
eventually; now I see that:

gpg: next trustdb check due at 2018-09-01

i.e. the day when my public key will expire.

--

  Thomas Ruddy, Germany