Jonas Rudolph <jon...@systemli.org> wrote:
> I am unfamiliar with apt-build.  Does it work like explained here,
> https://ostechnix.com/how-to-build-debian-packages-from-source/

Basically, yes.  Itʼs nothing more than a wrapper around apt-get,
dpkg-buildpackage, etc.

By all means you are free to use them directly, if you are more familiar with
that.

FWIW, there is also apt(-get) source --compile.

> or does it actually not get the latest version

It follows the same rules as any other apt-tool: defaults to the latest version
from the current target release, and you can override the latter with -t TARGET
switch or NAME/TARGET notation.  E. g.:

        # aptitude -t sid build-dep hello
        $ apt -t sid source --compile hello

> because it doesn't find it in the "sources" as well?

All deb-src should be specified in advance, of course.

> Otherwise I'd go on and build everything as it's listed here:
> https://www.gnupg.org/download/

Yes, you perhaps would like to upgrade not gnupg2 only, but all software that
comes from gnupg.org (npth, libassuan, etc), even if APT says dependencies are
fine otherwise.

> (I sense lots of fun coming up setting all paths correctly)

If you are going to use APT, it will either work like a charm or bump against
dependencies that unresolvable without upgrading the whole system.  I am still
leaning to bet on the latter, though.