On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:46:12 +1000 pchunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>
> >now if we go fork... do we fork for every dns lookup? for fork once per app?
> >just leave the forked child around "in case" we need it? do we institute a
> >system-wide dns helper daemon that u set up a local connection to? lots of
> >questions... many possible answers... who wants to discuss more?
> >
> Sorry if this is getting annoying I'm genuinely interested.
>
> I would favor having the system-wide dns daemon or pool of worker
> threads which you IPC'd requests to if this facility is to be heaviliy
> used. They could generate events upon completion or reply back across
> the same mechanism you sent the request through (Assuming it had 2 way
> capability.)
>
> Does ecore provide any abstracted method of 2 way IPC?

that is EXACTLY what i'm working on.

ecore_con is the module in ecore that does "connections". it can do local unix
socket ones (no dns lookup at all) and now remote (tcp/ip) - and thats the
problem i'm solving. i have the stubs of ecore_ipc module that wraps ecore_con a
little and parses data coming from a client (or server) into request chunks and
removes all the formatting info and just gives you an ipc request major & minor
number and the payload data for that request (can be of any size). this is just
stubs, but being worked on. it would be possible to produce a "dns helper"
daemon in a few dozen lines of code though... especially once i finish off
ecore_ipc. the question is - is this the way to go? or something else?

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]