I just wanted to confirm those who are having problems with anon access
  CVS that there is a known problem and your not alone.  We're seeing alot
  of people (new and old) wondering what the hell is happening.
  For the last year anon users via pserver have been getting odd errors
  when they try to do checkouts.  This is due to overloading of the
  SourceForge CVS pservers.  CVS does not have a "Server Full" or, "I'm
  busy, come back later" error message, so you get a variety of error
  conditions that don't look like a full server at first glance, but be
  asured that what they are.  Thats why if you tried over and over again
  to checkout it would eventually work.
  Now, we're seeing problems with anon users just logging in. You'll get
  an ugly pserver warning message and a refused connection.  Here's the
  official explanation from SourceForge:
(  2003-10-10 09:22:56 - Project CVS Services   )   Roughly 40% of project
CVS repositories are now online using our new CVS infrastructure; we
expect this transition to be completed during the week of 2003-10-13.
Additional details, including details of the benefits of the new
infrastructure, will be posted to Site Status pending completion of this
migration.
  So the downside is CVS is more broken than ever for anon users, but on
  the plus side they are finally fixing their boxes which should be a nice
  change to see.
  If you are ever curious why SF is acting weird look at the SourceForge
  Site Status page found
here:http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2352&group_id=1

  Please note that even now, developers accounts work fine because we use
  a diffrent set of servers for access.

   benr.

--
//Ben Rockwood - UNIX Systems Admin