On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 07:25:23PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > Some X apps and window managers accept a "-display" command line
> > option. Some use "--display". All appear to honor the DISPLAY
> > environmental variable.

> -display and --display is just fancy features some apps like to support ...
> it's cool, keeps you from having to mess around with environment
> variables ...

> as for the DISPLAY variable, not honouring it is a horrible oversight :)
> like you said, all appear to honor it ... as they should ...

I need to clarify things, correct my misstatements. e itself has no
problem with using $DISPLAY. The problem is passing -display to other
apps.  If the other app chokes on the unknow arg, X exits abruptly.

I have the menus doing:

  eesh -e 'restart_wm <WM>'

The current screen.c translates the call to:

  exec <WM> -display <DISPLAY>

The patched screen.c does:

  DISPLAY=<DISPLAY> exec <WM>

I believe that is correct behavior, if not the best way to code it.  I
am not sure if e changes DISPLAY in the environment to match any value e
itself received it throuh -display. But the patched method assures that
e's notion of DISPLAY is passed to WM.