On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:09:02 EDT, Michael Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> On Friday, 14 May 2004, at 00:55:40 (+0200),
> Andreas Volz wrote:
>
> > I noticed a very bad effect with translucent window moving. This is what
> > I did:
> >
> > 1. activate translucent window moving
> > 2. activate magic borders
> > 3. open some windows on one virtual desktop (e.g. 1)
> > 4. open some windows on neighbour virtual desktop (e.g. 2)
> > 5. drag one window from virtual desktop 1 to 2 and back *without*
> > dropping the window.
> >
> > Can you see the problem? After leaving the first virtual desktop the
> > windows (the dragged and all others) aren't painted until the dragged
> > window is dropped.
>
> That's how translucent moves work.  The server is grabbed, and it's
> not released until the window is placed.

There are similar issues with "opaque" moves as well. Grab a window, and if you
drag it off the edge of the screen to the next virtual desktop, it's at the
BOTTOM of the stacking order - most annoying if you're dragging a smallish
eterm onto the next desktop and it ends up behind a large mozilla window.

Grab the opaque window, and try to take it to another desktop entirely, and it
goes invisible - borders and all.  All you get is the X cursor, and the little
box that has the size and coordinate in it....

I suspect that window drags are scrozzling the stacking order, and pushing the
window being moved to the bottom - and when moving to another desktop
it's ending up behind the other desktop's background vroot.  Then the stacking
order gets fixed correctly when you finally drop the window at its destination.

I however can't point at a cvs commit or a line of code I can prove is doing it, but
this looks like a Changelog entry to start at:

Fri Apr  9 00:33:46 CEST 2004
(Kim)

Introduce debug print function.
Fix stacking after layer change.