> > > 1. glpyph caching,
> >
> > Doesn't the cache work automatically for any used font size?
>
> per font size instance there is a glyph cache - BUT now i'd
> need to handle per
> size AND transform (scale h AND v). i'd either need a glyph
> cache per one of
> these or change the glyph hash key to include the transform
> (scaling factors).
> the REAL problem here is the fact that truetype doesn't
> always like to scale
> linearly as u'd like - it may want to round off/align itself
> to a particular
> pixel boundary and so the text layout you chose before wont
> necessarily match :)

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, the cache works as-is when I use my
(broken) approach of scaling fonts through their "size" property.
The proper way would be using the same font "size" but rendering it at a
higher resolution, but the current cache implementation doesn't support
this. Right?

> let me look... aah i see. there is a problem with your
> patch... here's why -
> what If you scale horizontally more than vertically? you use
> a single multiplier
> for size when the size scaling would be different in each
> direction (horizontal
> and vertical) - that's why i went and resorted to bitmap
> scaling to get that
> right :) at least the bitmap scaling gets the font to be the
> right size/display
> at the right aspect, but does lose quality :(

I don't see that problem. In my patch, the multiplier always comes from the
"bigger" scale factor, either h or v. Bitmap (down-)scaling to final size is
done afterwards.

Cheers,
Bernhard