On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:06:09 +0000 Shish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> > What do you mean by incompatible with other apps?
> >
> > Can you not launch gnome/kde applications from enlightenment?  Can you
> > not run EFL apps when running gnome or KDE?
>
> The issue isn't the apps, but the launcher menus and such; the things
> that FDO are trying to standardise...
>
> The point is that while vendors can ship for both KDE and GNOME without
> serious effort, they have to go to an extra length to support E -- if E
> supported the .desktop files, then it could add itself to the "supported
> desktop environments" list of lots of apps; I doubt that all the package
> maintainers who ship .desktop files will be willing to add .eapps to
> satisfy a small minority of the users.

thats the idea behind importers - to import such files/layouts/data - see my
other mail about it :) there are other standards other than and older than
fd.o's that we would like to support - and an importer system cleanly separates
this out :)

> Personally I'd rather be able to use my existing launch menu heirarchy
> than have to manually create my own menus for E, with not a great deal
> of benefit (that I can see, anyway - does the E menu do anything that
> FDO's .desktop files don't?)

yes it does.
1. animated icons, scalable icons, you cannot "remove the icon" from an app by
separately deleting the .png or whatever - the iocn image is inlined IN the
.eapp so the image file FOLLOWS the .eapp. i can give you my .eapp and it will
display perfectly on your system - u dont need to separately install an icon
image somewhere that can be found. .eapp's can extend to have all sorts of
binary data inlined and attached - efficiently. :) they are self-contained.
.desktop files are not.

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)