I was just reading through and I noticed under the FAQ question:
Q: I have E16 installed. Do I need to uninstall it so I can install E17?

It says that they can happily co-exist as long as they are installed
in different directories (/usr and /usr/local).  I remember a little
while ago some messages about E16.8 being the only version which can
safely exist along with E17.  I know that someone else probably knows
better about this.  Maybe they were just talking about default
installations (as in no --prefix).  Perhaps someone can fill in the
blanks for us? I just thought I would mention it.

Paul Moss