Simon Wistow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-03-15 15:00]:
> - needs to be able to be controlled by Lirc

None of the EFL libs have a native LIRC interface of some kind, but I
guess you could use some glue code that waits for LIRC events and then
turns those into Edje signals or whatever.

> - needs to dynamically read the contents of a directory and then have
>   a browseable list menu depending on the files and their associated
>   meta data (clip names, authors, thumbnails, timestamp etc etc)

You can use Esmart's container smart object to put a list of evas
objects into any Edje part ("swallowing"). So this isn't a problem.

> - needs to be able to launch a Unichome/CLE266 accelerated movie player
>   with the chosen clip. Xine and Mplayer both use the Xvmc accelerated
>   driver. Can Emotion?

No, I don't think so. I don't know for sure, though.

> So - can I do all this in Edje or am I going to need to do some
> combination of Edje API + other EFL APIs?

You'll use Ecore_Evas to get easy access to the Evas canvas and Edje.
Esmart for the container smart object. But Edje depends on most of the
EFL components anyway :)

> Also, if so, are there any scripting language bindings for the relevant
> APIs? I already have various routines for reading the meta data files in
> PHP and Perl.

I'm working on Ruby bindings for Ecore, Evas, Edje and Esmart, but they
aren't complete yet.
http://code-monkey.de/projects/ruby-efl.html

--
Regards,