> 1.  You have a question.  A somewhat silly one, but a question
>     nonetheless.
YOU consider it silly.

> 2.  You post it to the developers list hoping for an answer.
first posted to the user list, got no answer. then posted to devel list,
got no answer. reposted, got an answer after several days.

> 3.  The author of the program your question concerns responds with an
>     answer pointing out your oversight.
points where???

> 4.  You rudely and haughtily tell him he's wrong as if he wouldn't
>     know what he's talking about.
i now am sure he does. but i as of the time i wrote my answer, i had no
idea he is the one who wrote entrance. he failed to mention such a small
fact in his answer.

> You didn't insult him.  You just acted as though you knew more than he
> about his own program.  So he decided that you could fend for
> yourself.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

well, i still think i know more than him (and you) about MY problem.
i am the most qualified person to talk about my problems, and if someone
thinks im a dickhead for thinking it, toughs for him.

> Using "NFS" and "security" in the same thought process without the
> phrase "has no" in between reveals a rather disturbing lack of clue on
> your part.

but again, if you had hundreds of users, whose work you had to keep backed
up (and allow them to restore files online), what other solution would you
use?? we use several network appliance machines, exporting users' home
dirs via nfs. no better solution there.

to sum things up, we currently cannot use entranced. we'd really like to.
we would patch it ourselves if we had more time to read the code
as always, the expected followup would say "dont expect anyone else to
scratch your itch". we dont expect it, and can make do till (if..)
someone else will fix it. if you dont consider it broken, then toughs for
us, but please let us know.

cheers,

nir.