On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:16:49 -0400 Jose writes:

>       You could make this work by letting such 'layout engines'
> use smart objects and be given as external libs, ie. libs like edje.
>       You'd create, via the particular text format/layout lib,
> objects
> of whatever format type you want (say text/html), and when a
> 'string'
> of text is 'set' to a text-format block object, the lib would create
> the needed evas smart object and 'parts' which are evas text objects
> with text/font-face/font-size/color set on such objects as the lib
> choses,
> and with each such part giving the pos it should be rendered at.
> Things like underline/overstrike are extra line objects, etc.
>
>       This might be a bit slow for top-bottom text and such.

        Actually evas could easily draw vertical (ie. top-bottom)
text quite easily, as this merely requires advancing the 'pen'
by each glyph's advance in both x and y components (same for
kerning deltas) - right now it only advances the x coordinate.
I haven't looked at ft2 (last ft I looked at was ft1), but it's
likely that if the font is meant to be drawn vertically then
ft2 will give the required glyph y advances..

        In any event, font/text issues are most definately a *huge*
pain, and it would require some time looking into ft2 and such
in order to get a good idea of what's involved..
        But for things like html, rich-text, plain-text, funky-text,
etc, ... formatting schemes, it should be possible (and likely
preferable) to achieve such formatting schemes with external
'smart-libs' and some modifications to evas' core glyph drawing
(and possibly font/glyph caching).