On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:58:22 +0900 Carsten writes:
> [...]
> and ask for
> support/help - EVEN IF the help is IN documentation - they dont read
> it. they
> prefer to write an email to a developer and get a personalised
> response. dont
> worry about licenes - this is the WORST problem with open source. by
> FAR.
> companies are unlikely to just "steal". thats the view of those that
> hate
> anything commercial. practicality is that the companies need some
> support -
> will ask a bit, realise they use up your time and offer to PAY you
> for it and
> PAY for patches, custom code ans support BECAUSE the license is
> muchmore open.
> this helps you get some minimal money for your hard work - better
> than $0. note
> - we dont get paid ANYTHING to produce E related code. it's produced
> out of
> sheer love, sweat and tears. for all the students out there - this
> stuff is
> done in time on evenings and weekends after exhausting days of work.
> year in
> and year out. for peolpe with jobs personal time is precous and
> worth a lot to
> them personally - so in working on e we invest much of ourselves in
> it. we are
> a project with $0 funding. unlike many other projects of similar
> visibility, no
> company has stepped forward to seriously partner with us to fund its
> development (thus it moves very slowly). over the years there have
> been times
> when me, or mandrake or mej have had paid work time to work on
> things. but
> those have been minimal in the scheme/lifetime of E.
>
> a BSD +attribution license is a way of extending an olive branch to
> companies
> possibly willing to put down some hard cash. we all have principles
> and stick
> to them like glue. i have had a few job offers before for large
> sums, BUT they
> would have meant an IP agreement that would mean i no longer could
> work on E as
> all my coding work would belong to the company. such offers i have
> turned down,
> even after negotiations and big carrots. if you cant, trust us that
> we have the
> interests of the project at heart and will maintain that, but in
> doing so we
> like to "bend with the wind" a bit more than most to achieve the
> goal.
>
> so... after a bit of length there - thats the reason i have used bsd
> licenses,
> and almost all of the core develoeprs agree with such licenses as
> being the way
> to go - we may simply think alike on the topic, but that is one

        All of this appears reasonable, and yet there are arguments that
are also reasonable to the effect that license XYZ is instead a 'better'
way to go.
        Rather than agonize over attempting to dissect the fine points of
license A over license B, one can offer the option of both (if possible)
as has been suggested by the poster.
        In particular, if BSD and LGPL are the A and B here, then why not
have all "e" code covered under a choice of either - ie. a company or
a distribution can use BSD or LGPL as they wish. Where is there a loss to
e, or its developers, in this added extra flexibility??

        Furthermore, in an attempt to better understand the possible benefits
of A over B, or A and/or B, offerings.. one might want to look around and
see which projects that use any such, and how they've fared.
        If one does this, one would tend to incline to the conclusion that
those projects that use LGPL are more numerous, and have been somewhat
more
successful in being "adopted" than those that use BSD.

        For LGPL/GPL one has: the Linux kernel, all the basic GNU libs/programs,
GNOME/Gtk, KDE/Qt, and a host of others...

        For BSD one has: the various BSD kernels, the X.org implementation
of X11, enlightenment, and some others...?

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 04:15:57 -0400 Michael writes:
> On Friday, 14 October 2005, at 01:17:02 (-0400),
> Jose O Gonzalez wrote:
>
> > I personally do not care much for any licensing schemes, and every
> > piece of code I've ever put up here, meager as it's been, I've done
> > so with no conditions whatever ......
>
> Anything you write is copyrighted.  Whether or not you implicitly
> assign copyright to the original author(s) when you submit a patch
> or
> block of code is a matter of much debate.

        Not so. This very much depends on particular countries and their
laws. In the USA, while one is indeed the 'author' of whatever one
writes,
one needs to expressely claim copyright ownership, or one may not have
the legal right to such after it is posted somewhere.

> > But villifying one license scheme as 'political' and blessing
> > another as the one true 'apolitical' choice, is quite flawed.
>
> The GPL is designed around the political views of GNU and RMS.  The
> BSD license basically says, "We don't care what you do with this as
> long as you give us credit."  The only thing that's more free than
> that is "public domain."  So as licenses go, BSD is pretty much as
> apolitical as you can get.

        Ummm... As I've stated, I have little care, personally, for any
licensing scheme.. But looking over this whole thread, I'd put this
forward:

         If 'apolitical-ness' is what e is after, then public
domain would be best.

        If thwarting the political views of RMS, then anything *but*
LGPL/GPL would be best.

        If instead e seeks support/acceptance/funding etc. from companies
or whatnot, then if we look at the results mentioned above... it would
seem that furthering the political views of GNU and RMS has served
a very large number of projects *very* well.

        Perhaps e needs to rexamine, in a realistic "non-religious" manner,
what its priorities are.. and make a serious study of what has worked
best for projects, and what has not.

        Jose.