Daniel Kasak wrote:

>Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>

>>fact: once source is available it IS able to be stolen. the chances of being
>>able to lift large chunks of useful code (eg take the image scaling routines
>>or
>>the alpha blending routines) which is where a lot of the really tight code is,
>>is tirival. no one would ever know. reformat it a bit and that's it. there is
>>very little you can do. you will never know its stolen. its part of a much
>>larger codebase that suddenly is faster and nicer. we have not the resources
>>
>This argument works when dealing with smaller organisations. I know that
>the KHTML people are pissed off with Apple ( who use KHTML in Safari )
>for not following the 'spirit' of the GPL and detailing their changes in
>change logs, patches, etc, and actually participating in the community.
>They simply make the source of their derived works available, and people
>are left to wade through it and try to discover what's happened in the
>meantime. So the point is that they're not particularly worried about
>maintaining their own fork, and also that the GPL has at least given the
>KHTML developers *something*.
>
>I can certainly see smaller organisations being more willing to
>co-operate though.

The abiword people have had some sort of extended issue with a company
who's proprietary word processor happens to parse Microsoft Word files
with amazingly similar behavior and bugs to abiword's code and abiword
symbols seem to be in that company's binaries for some reason.

I guess it may be harder to pull somethin like that for a set of gfx
related libraries like enlightenment's , but I'm a bit hungover so I
have no chance of imagining how people would go about doing this.

Nick