Phuah Yee Keat wrote:
> Felix Breuer wrote:
>
>> What I would like to know is the following:
>>
>> * What is the standard way for a login manager to read/set the
>> environment for
>>   a session? Are login managers supposed to go through an Xsession
>> script?
>

> I was just poking around the Entrance source and also the way xdm works
> last week, while trying to see what can be done to solve the
> Entrance+csh-as-login-shell issue.
>
> Well, XDM goes thru /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup as root, which login the user
> in utmp, but DOES_NOT run the shell as a login shell, hence the startup
> scripts are not read.
>
> Then XDM run the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession script as the user just logged
> in. And my Xsession (slackware) does have this patch
>
> <patch>
> # Since xdm doesn't run a bash -login shell (or any other login shell)
> # we should source these files to set up the user's environment.
> profile=/etc/profile
> userprofile=~/.profile
>
> if [ -r $profile ]; then
>         source $profile 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
> fi
> if [ -r $userprofile ]; then
>         source $userprofile 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
> fi
> </patch>
>
> Which loads the profile. So in this case, its not the login shell which
> does it, but the Xsession script.
>
> I have checked kdm, and kdm use the same sessreg (although in kdm this
> is a function instead), and not /bin/sh -l.
>
> I am still trying to see how I can change entrance to either use
> /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg or the sessreg.c from kdm, instead of /bin/sh -l.
>
> Cheers,
> Phuah Yee Keat

I would be interested in knowing if anyone experiences previously seen
issues (most notably, the eaps-disappearing bug) after doing the following:

- Remove the -l option from the exec command (don't use login shell) in
entrance_session.c, and recompile.

- Create an Xsession entry for your distro that launches E17. On
Mandriva (and Fedora/RedHat probably) you'd create a file in
/etc/X11/wmsession.d; you will need to figure out how your distribution
manages X sessions.

- In your config, replace "/usr/local/bin/enlightenment" with the name
of the Xsession you just created for E17.

Entrance will use Xsession to execute a session unless the full path to
the command is given. Xsession sets up many things for you that Entrance
won't do (and isn't supposed to do, actually) - like read/load
Xresources/Xdefaults files and stuff like that. It might even resolve
environment issues like LANG, or issues with display font sizes.

Regards,

--

Ibukun Olumuyiwa
http://xcomputerman.com

"I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower,
and will watch to see what he will say unto me,
and what I shall answer when I am reproved."