On 11/07/2017 01:10 PM, Cedric Bail wrote:
Hi,

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [E-devel] Git Feature/ Proposal
Local Time: November 7, 2017 8:13 AM
UTC Time: November 7, 2017 4:13 PM
From: michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com
To: Enlightenment developer list <enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>

After some discussions about git organization, it's become clear to me that
we should be trying to enact some changes which facilitate collaboration,
both between existing contributors and keeping in mind future contributors.

The current git branch policy is this:

- master
- $project-$version
- devs/$name/$branchname

No others are allowed. This fits many use cases, but it does not actually
help us work towards collaborating on features/patchsets and instead
promotes developing in isolation.

A simple proposal could improve this without requiring or significantly
changing our workflow: add "feature/" branches. For example, if Cedric and
I decide to work on a "feature" which scrapes the archive of this mailing
list and then crashes the session of anyone who replies to this thread, we
might jointly create a branch named "feature/discussion_helper" and push
commits to it.

Is the session crashing the part you like Cedric ?? ;)

A key point of this proposal would be that the feature/ branches must
trigger mails to the mailing list just like stable branches. This would
increase visibility for feature branches as well as promote further
collaboration even from those who are not directly involved in creating the
feature. The initial feature development could be done in a dev/ branch,
and then it could later move to a feature/ branch once it has progressed to
the point where it is ready for public visibility and increased
collaboration.

Lastly, feature branches would not be required use, just encouraged. This
allows people to continue the current EFL standard of always committing
only to master without any prior testing or branching, the need for which
has defeated other proposals which would prevent such action.

I think this could yield significant improvements to the community's
overall workflow without massively changing the structure under which the
everyone has been functioning.

I like this proposal as it should help team work. Good idea.

Cedric