On 22/11/17 18:42, Andrew Williams wrote:
> Can we instead ask people to pull master into their branch before asking
> for review / merging it up to master? That’s pretty common practice - in
> fact for a long lived branch I would expect that to happen on a regular
> basis.
>
> Andy

Yeah I presumed this would be a minimal expectation of any review, I
guess it should be explicitly documented somewhere.

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 at 02:56, Jean-Philippe André <j...@videolan.org> wrote:
>
>> My problem is that those branches won't be in sync with master.
>> This will lead to merge conflicts. I am these days reviewing a lot of work
>> done in dev branches or phab patches and it almost never applies nicely on
>> master, because the interfaces change.
>> A lot of work is done in branches (model, c#, eo widgets, ...) and those
>> tasks are both long term and involve more than a single dev. They require
>> constant rebasing on master or the final rebase will be a nightmare. Right
>> now this is done by people pulling other devs branches, and then rebasing
>> onto master in their own dev branch.
>>
>> Rewriting history on a shared branch has major downsides too. No problem
>> for dev branches as there's only one committer, but anyone pulling a
>> rewritten history will endure pain.
>>
>> Honestly I don't have a solution.
>>
>> It's a move in the right direction, but I'm not sure it's solving the
>> problems I'm facing :(

>>> Only problem would be the commit emails being resent (because
>>> technically they are new commits). One can mitigate that by first
>>> pushing them to a dev branch. Commits there have first been there
>>> don't trigger emails.

>> then
>> and

>>> should be
>> it's a
>> of

>>> j...@videolan.org>

>>> how
>>> master
>>> simple.

>> to".

>>> Feature_Branches

>> remove,
>>> but

>>> for

>>> features

>>> become
>>> facilitate

>> it
>> features/patchsets

>>> or
>>> archive
>> replies

>> feature/
>>> promote
>>> in a
>>> it

>> just
>>> the

>> the
>>> structure

>>> devel

>>> devel

>> --
>> Jean-Philippe André

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30