Hi,

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 at 02:13 Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 12:23:08 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me>
> said:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Since adding Google Analytics a while back I have some interesting
> > statistics that I thought I would share:
> >
> > 1) Very few people read our Stable API documentation - around 0.5% of our
> > page hits
> > 2) Over 5% of the page hits are already for the beta API documentation
>
> I'm willing to bet that this is mostly because of the work going on on
> these
> and "checking the work when done" etc. and not "real traffic". At least
> until
> this settles down I'd take these numbers with a grain of salt then look at
> again.

Looking further it's roughly 50/50 returning vs new users - so your grain
of saly can only be 50% of our numbers at the most...

> > 3) Most of the hits to /docs seem to result in a referral to /develop
> > 4) Nearly 40% of people landing on our home page leave right away
>
> Not surprising. enlightenment is a common word.
>
> > 5) Terminology is the most popular app (by page hits) and Edi is second
> > (1/4 times the hits) then ephoto (1/4 again)
>
> Also not surprising. :)
>
> > Not all of this requires any action but here is the action plan:
> > 1) I am not intending to put any further effort into our legacy API other
> > than the extraction of eina and eo for the Beta API docs
>
> Like others said. I think this might be a mistake. The legacy API is going
> be around and supported for years to come. Sure. eo/eina is important in
> where
> we're going, but the legacy docs maybe should at least just be made to be
> "not
> broken" as much as is sanely possible. Not saying we should go WRITE more
> docs
> there... That's all. Unless this is what you had in mind?

I was not aware they were broken or I would not have suggested it. What I
wanted to do was to focus on going forward.
But not at the cost of breaking or removing legacy!

> > 2) We can expect more people to be trying to use our Beta API - do we
> need
> > to prepare for this or should we put up more obvious warnings about
> > attempting?
>
> I thought the need for a #define to enable them was enough... perhaps some
> more
> #warnings IF that define is set AND it's not the efl build itself... ? I
> still
> think it's far too early to stabilize any of this. Even futures are still
> "not
> done" and in flux. As is ecore (efl loop and friends/related).

The flag is BETA - we called it beta a long time ago. That is the
expectation that has been set.

> > 3) I think it is time that the main "Develop" link goes to the /develop/
> > dokuwiki. The link to phab exists on the /contrib page where it belongs
>
> I guess that depends on the interpretation of "Develop". Developing as in a
> USEE of EFL libraries and their APIs, or developing as in working on
> E/EFL/etc.
> and EFL API's. It's a fine distinction.

That is why we added "contribute" to make the distinction.
I'd say that the best way to learn is to make the change and see if the
develop->contribute redirect count is less than the current docs->develop
(which could be as high as 95% depending on how you interpret the
numbers)...

> > 4) We should find a way to make our home page more appealing - when
> loaded
> > on an average monitor you need to be full screen to see anything more
> than
> > the "Window manager" section.
>
> Indeed it could be nicer. Using a wiki limits our formatting abilities as
> it's
> simpler. I would have just had large screenshots of lots of stuff to start
> with
> instead of text as really "oooh aaah pretty images" really works. At least
> "front and foremost". But I'm holding off on doing this until flat theme is
> done. At least then it'll be "oh finally they're flat" reactions.
>
> How to present those screenshots... that is in and of itself a good
> question.
> like a big horizontal banner then with a small bit of text (and links)
> below,
> one after the other? One of those lightbox things that keeps flipping
> multiple
> images with some js (would need a wiki plugin). for some things videos or
> animated gifs might actually be the best as the wow factor is in watching
> it
> move and react. Yes - it's a bandwidth hog, but it should have a huge
> impact vs
> stills. Perhaps again - a wiki plugin with a "still image" until you
> mouseover
> or maybe click/tap then the video/animated gif is loaded and plays? I don't
> know. just trying a more concrete idea "float".

I don't think the implementation details matter much - anything is possible
on the web and we should focus on what we would like to do then someone
will happily figure it out I'm sure.

http://andywilliams.me
http://ajwillia.ms