On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:02:39 +0200 N-Mi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At present, the problem is that all modules are built at once, and
> package generation for all modules fails when ONE module fails to
> build. Additionaly, autoconf/automake process is very long (I think
> it's most of the time of the whole building process), and it's a
> waste of time to re-run autoconf/automake for all modules although we
> want to re-compile one module (a few days ago I've spent a whole
> afternoon compiling emodules again and again, because of outdated
> debian/control files).
>
> I see 2 ways to optimize modules building process :
> 1) to have only one ./configure which make the checks for all modules
> 2) to have one "debian/" directory for each module

Autotools and compiling can both benefit from their own caching
mechanisms.  The autotools configurations are usually copied around and
tweaked rather than being written from scratch, mostly coz not many
people understand autotools.  It shows, many of them are checking for
things they don't need to check for, and are based on old deprecated
methods of getting things done.

Ive been studying autotools, and experimenting with the proper way to
set it up.  I intend to rip out the stuff I copied and pasted for the
emu module and replace it with stuff I'll write from scratch to do it
the right way.  Until I get around to that, I don't really care what is
done to the emu autofoo, so long as it keeps working.  After I have
rewritten it from scratch, I'll be much more concerned about what gets
done to it by others.  B-)

On the other hand, devilhorns is the general maintainer of e_modules,
and I'm his assistant in that area.  But we tend to shy away from doing
any major changes to any of the modules that aren't considered "ours" to
play with, mostly to avoid stepping on other peoples toes.  This policy
of ours doesn't match up real well with your option number 1.

So I vote for method 2.  I must admit that I know nothing about the
debian package creation process though.  Maybe we can do the same as is
done for the e_modules autotools, allow each module to be built
individually, AND have a "build all at once" option?