Sure, I think the obvious area for automation would be in the release
notes. Moving this to use the Enlightenment release method seems like it
would save a huge amount of time here (ie. just running a script for ticket
refs and using git shortlog). If we start using the right project tags for
'feature' patches then these can easily be found for release highlight
items, meaning that this part of doing a release is effectively removed
from the 'active' time requirement.

Backporting is a bit trickier, and I think we should probably have some
more focused discussion on it at some point.