On 27/09/2018 02:21, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 20:32:00 +0900 Hermet Park <hermetp...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> then do we expect users need to toggle features on/off manually?
>
> I would say so - yes. automagic has downsides for reproducible builds.

I agree here, when some things were automatic I saw alot of users and
some distro packages with a less then optional configuration due to
having things not detected. There was also cases where people were
wondering why something worked on one machine and not another which came
down to them having installed a devel package on one machine at one
point then forgetting about it.

For a while we had a really fun bug where if the machine you were
building the release tarballs had systemd headers installed the release
would build fine with or without systemd, but if the machine generating
the tars didn't have the systemd devel packages the release wouldn't
build with systemd.

The things we think that most users should have for the best experience
should be enabled by default and others disabled, so users should have
to pass no flags unless they explicitly don't want something like
systemd or they have some use case like embedded where they want some
features most people don't use.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30