A few months ago Mike set up  a test instance of gitlab on a server for
us... After testing and the like, I set up a slowvote on Phab that covered

Gitlab with new infra
Gitlab with current infra
Phab with new infra
Phab with current infra

The overwhelming support was for new infra.  As in every single vote except
for one wanted new infra.  The majority also wanted gitlab, but for the
sake of this email, that is irrelevant.

The arguments against new infra, having it sponsored, cloud, etc... keep
being that if someone leaves the project, or the owners of the servers
changes, or policies change, or etc... that we might lose access.  To me
this seems like an incredibly poor argument right now especially
considering that we have been experiencing this very thing and even worse
with our own current infra.  The problems I have seen are that we:

A. Failed at maintaining the physical aspects of our server.
B. Keep having continued downtime over and over and over again.
C. Can never get in touch with or get a response from our server admin in
any kind of remotely adequate timeframe.

Insanity is often said to be defined as doing the same thing over and over
again expecting a different result.  It is time to have an open mind to the
needs/wants of this community and make a change.

Stephen