On Friday, December 28, 2018 2:32 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 13:26:19 -0500 Mike Blumenkrantz
> michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com said:
>
> > Hi,
> > Thanks for taking the time to look into this issue. There's been an amount
> > of discussion and back-and-forth patching related to it for some time now,
> > and it's great to see someone taking some initiative here.
> > Looking over this patch, I'm unsure whether the method used for resolving
> > the issue is indeed the optimal one. Given the already-existing discussion
>
> indeed my log comments question the original commit idea - but i thought this
> was a bit better than reverting since i had found a non-revert fix. my take is
> that "wrapping" eina promise like this is kind of problematic as it means we
> now have some "forbidden" calls that are needed to do the wrapping properly
> (the ones i added).

Yes, I think the API of Eina promise doesn't work well for the ownership of the
data. It is also not matching the rest of our API in that regard. I have
created task T7530 where I put an idea of what need to be fixed and to discuss
this further.

> > going on related to this topic, I think this is a patch which would have
> > benefited from review prior to being landed. In particular, I'd have
> > suggested that unit tests be added for this case--we have somewhat
>
> it's still up in the air as to if this is the right way in the end - but i'm
> not sure how that helps as these are "public api's" only in as much as we need
> them internally but due to having multiple libraires ... we need to expose
> them. the documentation reflects that.

For future reference, we do have the concept of internal API across our
libraries. This internal API are to be defined inside eina_internal.h for Eina
for example. Not perfect as the symbol is obviously public, but people will
know right away that they are using a symbol that is not documented.

Cedric