On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 06:07:41 +0000 Jonathan Aquilina <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net>
said:

> I say why not. I am willing to work on it slowly slowly.
>
> My question becomes do we have any stats of enlightenement usage by windows
> users?

that's not likely to happen. just like enlightenment won't be ported to macos.
x11 has a very specific concept of window managers and how they work. wayland
is similar enough since we're fully compositing for us to do as well.

doing something like a windows port is just not going to be sane, unless you are
an expert at deep dark internals of windows crufty areas, and you also know e
very well and x11... :) it's just not going to be happening any time soon, and
then maintaining it alongside everything else is just not going to be
sustainable.

i am willing to bet windows' idea of "window manager" is vastly different to
x11 or even wayland (thought windows vista on might be more like wayland),
maintaining an abstraction is going to be huge effort and then there is the
added technical debt it creates.

the EFL port TO windows is already at our very limits. that should get more
attention, and that has nothing to do with WSL. WSL may allow for
cross-compiling EFL inside WSL on windows for use on win32 but it won't
fundamentally change EFL's windows port. it'd just be a POSSIBLE cross-dev
environment. i know vtorri does try and build EFL under msys2 with mingw32 (and
there are issues right now).

my take is efforts should be on this as we have a "mostly there" windows port
of EFL and it really just needs love and attention. an enlightenment port to
windows is is like many many many more orders of magnitude of work vs. giving
EFL love and attention.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com