On 9/21/19 11:06 PM, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
Hi,

As we prepare for the release (which is now postponed to Wednesday, I
think?), we must review the theme API for the widgets that are being
stabilized. A ticket for this can be found here:

https://phab.enlightenment.org/T8231

The only significant issue that I've discovered so far is that several
classes make use of legacy widgets internally, which would implicitly pull
in legacy theme groups. The specific legacy widgets used are elm_entry and
elm_label, but in neither case is any API exposed to the user.

It's possible that the elm_entry could be replaced with an efl_ui_text, and
I'm planning to investigate this on Monday if nobody else has done so at
that time. This may or may not be a solution that we want, however, as that
would pull in the efl_ui_text theme, which is not slated for stabilization.

For the case of the elm_label usage, there is no such eo-based widget (Yes,
I've tried) due to the fact that label sizes entirely based on its internal
edje object.

The question here is this: given that legacy widgets are stable, as is the
corresponding theme API, is it acceptable for widgets to pull these in
internally if there is no eo-based equivalent?

To me, it seems like the only issue here is that this is an implicit
dependency, so this could be solved with documentation. Then in the future,
when we do have stable eo-based widgets which provide the needed
functionality and want to move to using them, it would be simple enough to
verify that a user has a stable version of the new widget's theme group
(using some future data.item for those groups in edc) and fall back to
existing legacy widgets if none is found.

Please share your thoughts so that we can consider this carefully before
the release.
Mike

I found some issues in the theme itself, I was going to attempt to script the port, but for now I don't have time but before I gave up I noticed the following. I'll also try and find time to look through the rest in a bit of detail but i'm not sure ill have time

1. elm.event.* has been renamed to event.* with the exception of elm.event.resize.*

2. name: "elm/button/base/default" has been replaced with name: "efl/button" when in all other cases the "name:" has simply been dropped

3. button.edc adds an #undef ICON but doesn't undef anything else, from where the undef is called I suspect its hiding something else that should have undef'd that somewhere else.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30