On 5/27/20 6:30 PM, Marcel Hollerbach wrote:
Hi,

On 5/27/20 6:23 PM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:34:57AM +0200, Marcel Hollerbach wrote:
after quite a big amount of work we have successfully landed this morning a update to our build system which enables to build efl as a single big .so instead of multiple seperated .so's. The layout is that every single .so is
merged into efl-one.so except:
- eolian: no normal app would benefit from it, and it would make our build
*a lot* more complex
- ecore_avahi: there is no real user for this within efl, in general i dont
think anyone is going to benefit from it
- efl_canvas_wl: This is also not beneficial to a standard efl application

Isn't this required by E with Wayland support?  If so, it might be worth
including - assuming there aren't other downsides.

Yeah, good point actaully, that totally slipped my mind for now. I will see how much that adds to libefl-one.so and see what we can/need to do. Thanks!

Included now, thank you for pointing it out :)

- elua: This is only for bindings.
- ecore_drm / wayland : These are deprecated libs, not to confuse with
ecore_wl2 / ecore_drm2, which is included in efl-one
- exactness: Not useful for a normal efl app.

To build efl-one you need to pass: "-Defl-one=true" to meson. After this is done, additionally to all the smaller libs, efl-one.so will be build. The modules of ecore / evas etc. and all the binaries will link to efl-one.so
not to the smaller libraries. However, for compatibility reasons, and
complexity reasons, the small .so's are still build and installed.

If this works out, will this be the default at some point?  And I assume
that libefl-one will be the final name to avoid confusion with the
existing libefl?

I think we cannot say for sure if this will get the default build or not at this point. Right now we are more in the "try it out" stage, need to see how much it helps / improves the things overall, and see what negative things might show up. I also do not know how many projects are out there that only use the stack up to ecore, or only eina / eo. For them something like this might be a nightmare.
And yes: the name libefl-one is taken to not be confused with libefl.

Greetings,
    bu5hm4n

Ross