On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:24:45 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > 1) Move the data into its own repository

> not going to happen. the data is an internal part of the projects - it gets
> modifed 8new icons, images etc.) and is part of the build process. so not
> going
> to happen. the code is useless without the data - there is no point splitting
> it and doing so is a tonne of work that makes building more painful for
> developers and users.

I can agree to the fact that it is hard. But it's only hard because it would
take some amount of time to perform. The process of doing so isn't that complex.

Yes, the code does require the data so ...
> > 5) Make the source require the data through pkg-config

Secondly, I looked around to see just how much data was modified in e17 in the
last month (with git you could have e16 as a separate repo, as I doubt it
generates that much traffic).

So here it is:
apps/e: 8 modifications
proto/etk: 8 modifications
libs/ewl: 6 modifications
proto/estickies: 6 modifications
apps/entrance: 4 modifications
proto/emphasis: 4 modifications
apps/elicit: 2 modifications
apps/e_utils: 1 modification
libs/edje: 1 modification

That's it. Now how many modification did the source code itself receive during
this period?

> at this point - why bother with git at all. just ake tarball snaps. much less
> effort.

Things would get up to 7 times faster then they are now, it's a lot easier to
make multiple repositories, you don't have to mess with .cvsignore, and because
it sends compressed data over the network you use up less bandwidth (if that's
of any concern). It's a lot easier to mirror too.

> though git seems nice - i am beginning to think its not going to solve a lot.
> we
> need to really just provide alternate mechanisms to get the code and moe
> anoncvs mirros i think.

At this point I doubt you guys agree with my view. So, my opinion is probably
wrong and this is just a case of me being hard-headed. It would take about a
week to get everything into place and there are probably many easier ways to
get the same results.

Eugen.