On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 03:22:39PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Brian writes:
>
> > >   To me the main issue is not really a 'technical' one pre se,
> > > it's do people really want, and want to help with, such changes?
> > >

> > Right now, I think the response you're going to get from most of
> > us is: "Wait until e17 is out the door." Evas may have issues, but,
> > our main focus at this time is getting a long awaited product
> > released and in the wild.
> >
> > However, this does mean that Evas will also be "in the wild",
> > making drastic API changes more painful on end users of the
> > library. So, maybe we should prioritize the changes (premul
> > seems a higher up candidate).
> >

>       The only api 'change' that I know of anyone having in mind
> is the change to premul semantics. But as far as large or radical
> api changes, evas has already had some.. eg. the textblock.
>       Part of the benefit of having loadable object types is to
> minimize the need for such things happening. But mostly it's to
> provide a better base on which to build - to build apps, not to
> fiddle with the lib for the hell of it. If people don't understand
> this then I don't know what to tell you.

I realize this. I never said anything about "lib fiddling" :)
I totally agree that evas needs some work. I would love true loadable
objects with a well defined interface so we can more easily extend
things. All I'm saying is that we have very little dev power to divy up
between everything that needs doing.

> > I just don't think that we should take what little dev time we
> > have and suck it into overhauling evas (which, unfortunately,
> > is 'good enough' for our current purposes).
>
>       Then it's likely not going to happen and will thus stay
> 'good enough' until deemed otherwise. A concensus needs to be
> reached on what needs work and what doesn't.. it can't be carried
> or be decided on by one person alone, wether it be me or Carsten
> or whomever.. Some things can be done here and there, but major
> work needs more than that.

I think we need to get e17 out, and THEN bump this up to top priority.
(With the exception of pre-mul, which, due to the API shift, should
probably be done before any evas release). However, that said, we're a
pretty unguided mass of transient coders, with different goals and
desires. Maybe its just my lack of familiarity with evas internals that
forms my opinion. :)

rephorm.