I have some Drupal experience now (been building a coporate backed
community site recently).  I have lots of Java experience (the language
XSM is written in).  I have even worked on stuff that has combined the
two.  I am one of the few that contributes to all three sites, and I
think I was the first to have an account on all three.  I have the
equivalent of admin rights on two of the three.  I'm also the most
active maintainer for an IRC FAQ bot for what it's worth.

I'm willing to work on this as soon as the FDO stuff is not soaking up
all me spare time.  In the mean time, I'll contribute what I can.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:42:46 -0700 Blake Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > one issues i see in merging them - 2 use xsm (fine) 1. uses drupal
> > (php cms).
> > edevelop's forums just can't function without dynamic www - xsm
> > itself can't
> > really scale there. so do we rewrite forum code in php to serve
> > from xsm? do we
> > have a split-personality site (not very attractive maintenance and
> > design-wise).
> >
> > how do we merge the efforts into "1 cms" (take that loosely) - or
> > is it ever
> > possible?
>
> The forums on edevelop.org are a combination of Drupal and phpBB
> (the old forums were originally just phpBB).  I hacked Drupal to make
> it feel similar because everyone moaned so much about the original
> Drupal style and design.  phpBB is a security nightmare (or it was
> when I switched away from it).
>
> I really hope the decision is not to create some frankenstein
> monstrosity by gluing together pieces of Drupal/XSM/Wiki and random
> bits of PHP.  Just the thought of it gives me a headache.

One thing that has always kept me away from online forums is the
general lack of any email interface.  If I can treat the forums just
like a mailing list, then I will contribute to them just like I
contribute to the mailing lists.  This is an area I would definitely
put some personal effort into getting right.

I'm not saying to feed the forums into existing mailing lists, they can
have lists of their own.

The latest version of Drupal is much nicer now, but Blake has much more
experience with Drupal than I, so I defer to him on the subject.