> So, as it stands, the shelf problem is just a matter of modifying the
> config of the relevant shelves,

Not quite -- or perhaps there is something I do not understand. It seems
that as soon as I move any shelf item manually, it gets "manual
positioning" and no longer adapts to the screen dimension changes. So
indeed your proposed solution works as long as I don't move any items
manually -- which I do want to do, as I want to reorder items in my
shelf.

I'd much rather have shelves that behave dynamically -- e.g. if I choose
the lower right corner for a shelf, that shelf should try to dynamically
fit there as I resize or rotate the screen, preserving the order of
items. There should be some sort of "gravity" for the items, so that
they float towards the lower right corner if that is the shelf
configuration I had chosen.

> the icon problem may be fixed by up to date CVS and no eaps,

I can confirm that -- in my case blowing away the entire ~/.e directory
seemed to have been the solution.

> the maximise problem will be fixed as soon as the patch hits CVS

Confirmed fixed, thanks!

> and the patch attached to this e-mail fixes a problem with merlin, a
> "broken app" problem.

Indeed it does. Thanks again for the impressive bugfixing spree!

--J.