On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:42:55 +0100,
Rene Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

> Simon, thanks, it worked!
>
> Next I'll see how well one can get away with mixing Etk with this.
> With a little luck it is just a matter of calling glViewport and
> glScissor before painting (and resetting them again afterwards of
> course).

Here is a really simple code that shows how to make it work in
Etk. It's still heavy experimentation, really dirty and it has some
problems.
To make it work, you still need the Evas patch (the flush callback
thing) and the latest Etk to have the GL-X11 engine of Etk (I've just
committed it).

To compile it:
gcc -o etk_gl_proto etk_gl_proto.c `etk-config --libs --cflags` -Wall
-lGL -lGLU

and to execute it, you have to say to the app that you'd like to use
the GL-X11 engine, so the command is:
./etk_gl_proto --etk-engine=ecore_evas_gl_x11

It should work but it's a bit buggy (probably because I don't reset all
the GL states before drawing the cube, so sometimes blending is
enabled, sometimes scissor-test is enabled, ... it would be useful to
have a command to reset all the GL-states to their default value...)

> I know this is a hack, but experimentation first, then we can start
> thinking about a clean solution that is OK with the lead developers.

A way to make it cleaner and more generic would be to do as Jose said:
render the OpenGL scene in a buffer, and render the buffer content in
an Evas image. This should even be compatible with all the engines, but
it may be a lot slower (I don't know, I never did something like that).

Simon

> Regards
> Rene
>

> Simon TRENY wrote:
> > Here is a fixed version of the test code. It fixes the back-face
> > culling and some glPush/Pop*() bugs.
> >
> > Simon
> >

> > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:21:09 +0100,
> > Simon TRENY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :
> >

> >> Hi Rene,
> >>
> >> The main problem we have here is that what you'd like to do is
> >> definitely engine-specific whereas Evas tends to abstract totally
> >> the engine layer. Anyway, with some Evas engines it should be
> >> quite easy to use OpenGL to render 3D stuff. Here is how to do it
> >> with the GL-X11 engine of Evas (which is obviously the most
> >> appropriate engine to do that since it already provides the GL
> >> context).
> >>
> >> So, with the GL-X11 engine of Evas, all you have to do basically
> >> is to call all your OpenGL functions before glXSwapBuffers() gets
> >> called. glXSwapBuffers() is called by the output_flush() method of
> >> the GL-X11 engine, which is called by
> >> evas_render_updates_internal(). So the problem is that we need to
> >> be somehow notified before evas_render_updates_internal() calls
> >> the output_flush() method, and, for now, there is no way to do
> >> that. I have written a small patch for Evas to add a callback
> >> called each time before output_flush() is called. The function to
> >> set this callback is evas_flush_callback_set(). The Evas patch is
> >> joined with this email (this patch should not be applied to the
> >> CVS repository of Evas, it's a quick'n'dirty hack!!).
> >>
> >> Now, all you have to do is to make the calls to the OpenGL
> >> functions in the "flush-callback". I have attached a a small code
> >> that shows how to do it. It's totally dirty and hacky but it works
> >> quite well :) There is just a small problem with the Zbuffer of
> >> with the backbface culling I guess (the cube looks weird...), but
> >> it shouldn't be hard to fix. To compile this code, you have to
> >> apply the patch to Evas, and to compile it with:
> >> gcc -o evas_gl_proto evas_gl_proto.c `ecore-config --cflags --libs`
> >> -lGL -lGLU -Wall
> >>

> >> Note that the GL engine of Evas has some serious problems though.
> >> Here is a list of the know problems written by raster some times
> >> ago:
> >>>
> >> There is also a problem when you have several windows using the GL
> >> engine in your program, but I think it's probably a problem with
> >> Ecore_Evas_GL. The Glitz engine that raster seems to be writting
> >> should fix most of these problems :)
> >>

> >> Regards :)
> >> Simon

#include <Etk.h>
#include <GL/gl.h>
#include <GL/glu.h>

static void _opengl_view_realize_cb(Etk_Object *object, void *data);
static void _rotation_toggled_cb(Etk_Object *object, void *data);
static int _animator_cb(void *data);
static void _flush_cb(Evas *e);

static Etk_Widget *_opengl_view;
static Etk_Bool _rotate = ETK_TRUE;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   Etk_Widget *window;
   Etk_Widget *vbox;
   Etk_Widget *frame;
   Etk_Widget *button;

   etk_init(&argc, &argv);

   window = etk_window_new();
   vbox = etk_vbox_new(ETK_FALSE, 0);
   etk_container_add(ETK_CONTAINER(window), vbox);

   frame = etk_frame_new("OpenGL View");
   etk_box_append(ETK_BOX(vbox), frame, ETK_BOX_START, ETK_BOX_EXPAND_FILL, 0);

   _opengl_view = etk_widget_new(ETK_WIDGET_TYPE, NULL);
   etk_widget_size_request_set(_opengl_view, 240, 320);
   etk_signal_connect("realize", ETK_OBJECT(_opengl_view), _opengl_view_realize_cb, NULL);
   etk_container_add(ETK_CONTAINER(frame), _opengl_view);

   etk_box_append(ETK_BOX(vbox), etk_hseparator_new(), ETK_BOX_START, ETK_BOX_NONE, 0);
   button = etk_toggle_button_new_with_label("Stop Rotation");
   etk_signal_connect("toggled", ETK_OBJECT(button), _rotation_toggled_cb, NULL);
   etk_box_append(ETK_BOX(vbox), button, ETK_BOX_START, ETK_BOX_NONE, 0);

   ecore_animator_frametime_set(1.0 / 60.0);
   ecore_animator_add(_animator_cb, NULL);

   etk_widget_show_all(window);
   etk_main();

   return 0;
}

/* Called when the OpenGL view is realized: we set the "flush callback" to the Evas */
static void _opengl_view_realize_cb(Etk_Object *object, void *data)
{
   Evas *e;

   if (!(e = etk_widget_toplevel_evas_get(ETK_WIDGET(object))))
      return;
   evas_flush_callback_set(e, _flush_cb);
}

/* Called when the "Stop Rotation" button is toggled */
static void _rotation_toggled_cb(Etk_Object *object, void *data)
{
   _rotate = !etk_toggle_button_active_get(ETK_TOGGLE_BUTTON(object));
}

/* Forces Evas to redraw */
static int _animator_cb(void *data)
{
   Evas *e;

   if (!(e = etk_widget_toplevel_evas_get(_opengl_view)))
      return 1;

   evas_damage_rectangle_add(e, 0, 0, 1000, 1000);
   return 1;
}

/* This is called before glXSwapBuffers() gets called.
 * The calls to the GL API have to be placed here */
static void _flush_cb(Evas *e)
{
   Etk_Geometry geometry;
   static float rot = 0.0;

   etk_widget_geometry_get(_opengl_view, &geometry.x, &geometry.y, &geometry.w, &geometry.h);

   glPushAttrib(GL_ALL_ATTRIB_BITS);

   glViewport(geometry.x, geometry.y, geometry.w, geometry.h);

   glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
   glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL);
   /* We have to disable the scissor test or sometimes it's not rendered. Not sure why... */
   glDisable(GL_BLEND);
   glDisable(GL_SCISSOR_TEST);
   glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE);
   glCullFace(GL_BACK);

   glClear(GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

   glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
   glPushMatrix();
   glLoadIdentity();
   gluPerspective(45.0, (float)geometry.w / (float)geometry.h, 0.1, 100.0);

   if (_rotate)
      rot += 1.0;
}