In my opinion, there is a difference between the popup of the mixer
module and the popup of the net/weather module: in mixer, the popup is
used to change the volume, there are control-widgets inside it, while
in net/weather, the popup is only used to display infos (I've never
tested the weather module though, but I think that how it works).

And this difference explains the different behaviors I think: you
don't want to see the volume bar each time you enter the mixer's icon,
because seeing the bar is useless. Everytime you might want to see the
volume bar, is because you want to change the volume, and then you need
to lock the popup anyway. And actually, it would annoy me a bit to have
the mixer's popup show each time I move the mouse over it.

Regards,
Simon TRENY <MoOm>