On Wednesday 21 March 2007 18:18:41 you wrote:
> On 3/21/07, Cedric BAIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> >         I finally got a SDL Engine running and starting to look correct.
> > I did split it in 3 patch.
> >
> > - evas_cache_image.diff: Add a global cache for image mechanism.
> >         I hope it could be shared with other engine and reduce their code
> > complexity. This cache works more like the one from FreeType, you request
> > image/operation from the cache, and the cache forwards it if needed to
> > the right callback function. This need to be carefully reviewed, even if
> > it seems correct. I also included in this patch a new
> > 'evas_common_load_image_module_from_file' function that just create the
> > RGBA_Image without any cache manipulation. I also updated
> > 'evas_common_load_image_from_file' function to use it.
> >
> > - evas_sdl_engine.diff: This patch really provides the SDL engine.
> >         You must not expect other colorspace than
> > EVAS_COLORSPACE_ARGB8888 to work. I have no plan to fix this now as I
> > think it will be easier to test that with emotion. So I first need an
> > Ecore_SDL to fix this.
> >         It doesn't use evas_pipe (and never will) as it need to use SDL
> > thread to do that same task, and I am really not planing to do it soon.
> >
> > - evas_sdl_test.diff: Add an old style evas test for SDL engine.
> >         Every test must work, if not please report bugs to me :)
>
> Great to see it happen.
>
> I'm about to write an engine to carry operations in 16bpp and had
> already noticed this code duplication, so this helps me a bit :-)

Great to see this could help others.

> My idea is similar to SDL_ConvertSurface(), however I plan to handle
> alpha transparency too... we do it with Canola/SDL and performance is
> incredible faster[*] than 32bpp->16bpp at every blit.

> My aim is to have a pure-x11 engine, fixed for 16bpp, avoiding
> overheads. However, with your engine at hand it should be much easier
> to evaluate how well it work. Do you plan to add this bit-depth
> support for it?

Well my TODO is quite huge at the moment, and I first want to have it
integrated with ecore and emotion able to run with this engine. So I must
admit that such optimization are really low priority on my list even if I
like the idea, but if you have time to add this, it will be great.

> [*] http://lists.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl-libsdl.org/2001-April/016483.html
> Blit565to565SurfaceAlpha(): If you opt to drop quality in favor of
> performance, you can pack r5g6b5 inside one 32bits word and use
> 5bit-Alpha, doing add or multiply of 3 channels with one operation.

Interesting patch, I like the idea, sad I don't have all the time I need :)

Cedric