[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       I wonder though if one can write apps with e's toolkits
> that would allow for 'overriding' the toolkit's theme (with an
> app-provided edje goup say), for a given toolkit widget? Also, is it
> possible to build 'custom widgets' that can be given app-specific
> theming? Just how flexible can/should 'theming' be?

Ewl allows you to override the theme as needed. You can either a) write
your own theme and use that to display, or b) you can override theme
keys on the fly to add or remove theming as needed.

Ewl uses a hierarcy of theme keys so you can be very specific in what
you want to override. If you only want your buttons inside your hbox
inside your window to change you can override /window/hbox/button/group
and point it to a different theme group.

The app doesn't need to know anything about the theme, it just needs to
know the widget hierarchy that it's overridding (which it can trivially
discover with --ewl-print-theme-keys on the command line.)

The themes work by defining a data section in the main edc file that
gives the key mappings for the theme itself.

>       In a slightly different vein.. Is there something like the
> equivalent of e17's modules for the gui-toolkits -- does something
> like that even make sense?

Ewl has several pieces that are pluggable. You can add your own widgets,
epdf does this to create an Ewl_Widget. You can add engines which Ewl
will discover at runtime, the engines are also inheritable so you only
need to write the pieces that are different.

You can add IO Managers (these are still very much in flux and the API
_will_ change.) You can also provide different views for the
Ewl_Filepicker widget. (We use this to provide icon, list and column
views.) The same view concept is used in the tree to allow us a plain
display or a scrolled display.

>       There are of course many other aspects of interest, not
> necessarily related to theming, and I wonder if the toolkit
> devs have any thoughts or ideas they feel would be interesting,
> or things they feel 'e' should support, ...
>       eg. I've sometimes seen references to kde's "kio slaves"
> and "kparts"... Can anyone tell me exactly what these things are
> and why they are considered useful? Are these kinds of things
> something that a gui-toolkit should have, or are they more like
> an ecore-lib? Is there a coherent relationship between such things
> and say e_dbus, evfs, ....??

kio slaves I take to be more inline with evfs. Evfs could be used by the
Ewl filpicker widget but I believe there were some issues getting it to
work on OSX, can't remember exactly.

Kparts, at least my understanding, is that their just bigger, more
complicated widgets?

Ewl will be using e_dbus I think in the future to handle sending out
configuration change notifications. This hasn't been built in yet, but
it used to do this using the ecore_config IPC mechanism.

dan